Dalit woman draws water from well in upper caste area, thrashed on Odisha
Kendrapara: A Dalit woman was allegedly beaten up by members of upper caste for drawing potable water from a government-dug deep tube well in their area at a village in Odisha`s Kendrapara district, police said on Wednesday.
The woman faced the wrath of upper caste groups in Pikirali village, about 25 Km from here, on Monday as lower caste groups are not allowed to draw water from these wells, they said.
About 10 dalit families of the village were depending on one tubewell in their locality. But since last month, the sole tubewell in Dalit Sahi was defunct and scheduled caste persons were forced to subsist on polluted water of a pond.
Driven by compulsion, a Dalit woman Kalpana Sethi (25) decided to fetch water from a tubewell in front of the house of an upper caste person, Bhamara Jena, for which some upper caste persons assaulted her and took away her bucket, police said.
The woman yesterday filed an FIR against Bhamara, Umakanta Jena and Kishor Jena (all belonging to the upper caste) in the local police station and alleged that they hurled abusive language and assaulted her for drawing water from the village tubewell.
The woman also alleged that some influential upper caste persons have been preventing the Dalits, including women and children, to take water from the village tubewell.
Earlier also, upper caste members abused some dalits for using the tubewell to draw water but the frightened people did not lodge any FIR against them, Sethi claimed.
"Acting on the FIR lodged by the complainant, cases under sections 354, 294, 341, 506 of IPC and section 3 of SC and ST (atrocity prevention) Act have been registered against persons named in the FIR. The matter is being investigated," said Kendrapara Sub-Divisional Police Officer (SDPO) Nrusingh Charana Swain.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani attempted suicide or big security lapse by jail authorities?
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch