Dalits build their own temple in Kendrapara
Kendrapara: After over eight
decades of wait, dalits themselves built a temple inside
the famous Baldevjew temple here.
Mahalaxmi temple inside the 300-year-old Baldevjew
temple is now complete. It was the singular effort of the
fishermen community here that 47-feet sprawling temple has
come up, Baldevjew endowment officials said.
The works of the temple fully funded by the fishermen
community moved at a snail pace over the years.
Its foundation had been laid in 1927. Paucity of funds
led to the delay and finally its work is complete and has been
readied for puja, Brahmananda Behera, secretary of the temple
building committee, said.
The temple would be opened for public darshan on
25 June. Puri Gajapati Maharaja Dibya Singha Deb, would be the
first devotee to make his way to the temple, he said.
Unlike in other temples, the dalits have unrestricted
access to the temple and there is no caste-related bar on
The traditional bar on entry of non-Hindus into the
temple still remains in force. The famous temple which draws
thousands of devotees everyday, was built during the reign of
Marahatta subedars in this region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Indrani Mukerjea's statement on suspected drug overdose recorded
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka