Dalits build their own temple in Kendrapara
Kendrapara: After over eight
decades of wait, dalits themselves built a temple inside
the famous Baldevjew temple here.
Mahalaxmi temple inside the 300-year-old Baldevjew
temple is now complete. It was the singular effort of the
fishermen community here that 47-feet sprawling temple has
come up, Baldevjew endowment officials said.
The works of the temple fully funded by the fishermen
community moved at a snail pace over the years.
Its foundation had been laid in 1927. Paucity of funds
led to the delay and finally its work is complete and has been
readied for puja, Brahmananda Behera, secretary of the temple
building committee, said.
The temple would be opened for public darshan on
25 June. Puri Gajapati Maharaja Dibya Singha Deb, would be the
first devotee to make his way to the temple, he said.
Unlike in other temples, the dalits have unrestricted
access to the temple and there is no caste-related bar on
The traditional bar on entry of non-Hindus into the
temple still remains in force. The famous temple which draws
thousands of devotees everyday, was built during the reign of
Marahatta subedars in this region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part III
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part IV
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part V
- State BJP, Congress, Left to boycott Mamata Banerjee's swearing-in, Arun Jaitley to attend
- Jibe at Subramanian Swamy? Arun Jaitley says he disapproves of personal attack on Raghuram Rajan
- IPL 2016 Final: Tickets sold out in 2 hours
- Two years of Modi govt: Hope has replaced hopelessness under NDA rule, says PM
- Assam Board SEBA Class 10th Examination Results 2016: SEBA HSLC Results 2016, Assam HSLC Result 2016 to be declared on May 31