Deadlock between district authorities, panchayat continue in Odisha
Koraput (Odisha): The month-long deadlock between the district authorities and panchayat members of Bandhugaon block of Odisha`s Koraput district is on despite the administration`s steps to break it.
A total 26 panchayat members and two zilla parishad members had tendered their resignation last month but they are yet to be accepted by the authorities.
The panchayat members have alleged that development has taken a beating in the block due to the apathetic attitude of the concerned officials.
Block chairperson Pidika Ambe alleged that people are unable to get pattas under the Forest Rights Act, a majority of people do not have ration cards, most of the tube-wells are lying defunct at villages and teachers don?t come to school regularly among others.
The officials are deliberately neglecting us. The elected panchayat members are not involved in any developmental activities of the block. Genuine demands of people are not fulfilled by the administration.
“We will not cooperate with the administration till our demands are fulfilled,” she said.
The elected panchayat members have also demanded proper implementation of MGNREGA, electrification of villages and facilities of proper drinking water in the block.
Zilla Parishad member Konda Tamara said due to non-completion of an irrigation dam at Chintaguda for the past 25 years the area has remained non-irrigated.
Koraput district Collector Sachin Jadhav said, “Several developmental activities are on in Bandhugaon and we have noted the demands of the panchayat members and will look into it.”
Fresh instructions would be issued to the officials concerned to ensure that the panchayat members are involved in all the developmental activities undertaken in the block, he said.
The administration had not accepted the resignation letter of the panchayat members saying they were not addressed to the appropriate authorities nor submitted through proper channel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Car crushed between 2 trucks in Telangana, 5 dead
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system?
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part II
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part III
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part IV
- In Pakistan's Lahore, school attacked after teacher ''rapes'' student
- Israel's Lieberman agrees terms to join Netanyahu government - spokesman
- Greece starts moving migrants from squalid border camp
- Vietnamese dissident a reluctant tourist during Obama visit
- Islamic State "falsely claiming" attacks in Bangladesh