Deadlock continues in Orissa Assembly over dal scam
Bhubaneswar: Deadlock over the
multi-crore dal scam paralysed Orissa Assembly for the third
consecutive day on Tuesday with opposition Congress members
demanding a full-fledged report on the action taken against
those involved in the irregularities.
The issue was raised by leader of opposition and
senior Congress member Bhupinder Singh as soon as the house
assembled for the day. Accusing the BJD government in Orissa
of shielding the corrupt officials, agitating Congress MLAs
rushed to the well shouting slogan.
As noisy scenes persisted, Speaker Pradip Kumar Amat
adjourned the House barely five minutes after it commenced.
When the House re-assembled at 12 noon, the agitating members
repeated their activities creating pandemonium in the well.
The House was again adjourned till 3.00 pm.
When the House reassembled at 12.00 noon, treasury bench
members through point of order, attacked Congress MLAs
accusing them of creating disturbance even after the Speaker
directed the government to give report on the dal scam within
"We are not satisfied with the Speaker`s ruling as the
government has been allowed to not to give full report on the
plea that the matter was sub-judice," said Singh, adding his
party demanded full action taken report and a CBI probe into
the dal scam which had affected above one crore children and
pregnant women under mid-day meal (MDM) scheme and
supplementary nutrition programme (SNP).
BJP supporter Independent MLA Pratap Sarangi, however,
appealed to opposition members to participate in discussion in
order to give justice to the people affected in the dal scam.
Congress MLAs, however, rejected Sarangi`s plea by
shouting slogans demanding stringent action against senior
officials involved in the scam.
Treasury bench MLAs criticised opposition for not
participating in the debate as Congress member Anup Sai tore
up an Assembly book on rules and procedure.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars