December liquor sale drops in Odisha
Cuttack: Revenue from liquor sale has considerably come down despite two major celebrations of Christmas and New Year in the past one month in Odisha, official sources said.
While revellers in the state guzzled liquor worth over Rs 50 crore in December 2011, in the corresponding month 2012 the sale of liquor had come down considerably and the sale proceeds might not touch Rs 40 crore, the sources said.
"Fall in liquor sale is attributed to some key factors like low spending capacity of people, slowdown in key sectors like mining and growing consciousness among people on health," an official of the state Beverages Corporation said.
Besides, he said, the recent incidents in New Delhi following the gangrape and death of a 23-year-old girl had dampened the celebration spirit and these had its effects on liquor sale.
Excise officials in Cuttack district said that never ever in past years, the sale of liquor in this particular period had been so dispiriting.
"Most of the retailers, who fail to lift their quota throughout the year, wait for the last fortnight of December to make up the losses. But the situation this year has left them depressed," said an excise official.
Out of some 150 liquor off shops in the district, only 117 were running currently and many of them were not able to lift their quota, sources said, adding that only a little over 3 lakh LPL of liquor were sold from these outlets, including that of five on shops and 41 bars serving liquor in different restaurants.
Similar was the situation in country spirit (CS) joints operating in the district where the consumption level has fallen heavily. Cuttack district has some 64 licensed CS joints and the sale proceeds from here too have not been encouraging, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in