Democracy has collapsed in Naxal-hit Malkangiri: Cong
Bhubaneswar: Congress on Sunday alleged that democracy has collapsed at the grassroot level in Maoist-hit Malkangiri following the en-mass resignation of over 60 Panchayati Raj representatives and asked the BJD government to expedite developmental work in the district.
"Over 60 PRI representatives in Kalimela block had resigned en-mass last month over government`s inaction in completing an irrigation canal and providing basic amenities like drinking water," Odisha PCC President Niranjan Patnaik, who visited the district yesterday, told reporters here.
"We are shocked at the callousness of Naveen Patnaik government towards the collapse of this vital grassroots institution. We are shocked to note that the government has not even responded to this crisis and treating it as a casual event. PRIs are an important part of our constitutional edifice," the PCC chief said.
He said not even a minister or a secretary-level officer had visited the district to talk to the PRI representatives. "Nothing can be more insensitive."
He said children in the district are dying of diseases, while its youth are unemployed, women vulnerable and farmers lack access to irrigation. "We feel there is an atmosphere of acute bedlam and unprecedented institutional decay."
"The Malkangiri misery is being perpetuated by the insensitivity, inaction and neglect of the BJD government in the state," he said and asked the government to create infrastructure, provide jobs to the people and integrate them to the mainstream.
Rs 1100 crore meant for schemes like Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY) were lying unutilised in Malkangiri, Patnaik said, adding the district fares poorly on all development indicators, besides reporting poor utilisation of central funds under different schemes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark