Democracy has collapsed in Naxal-hit Malkangiri: Cong
Bhubaneswar: Congress on Sunday alleged that democracy has collapsed at the grassroot level in Maoist-hit Malkangiri following the en-mass resignation of over 60 Panchayati Raj representatives and asked the BJD government to expedite developmental work in the district.
"Over 60 PRI representatives in Kalimela block had resigned en-mass last month over government`s inaction in completing an irrigation canal and providing basic amenities like drinking water," Odisha PCC President Niranjan Patnaik, who visited the district yesterday, told reporters here.
"We are shocked at the callousness of Naveen Patnaik government towards the collapse of this vital grassroots institution. We are shocked to note that the government has not even responded to this crisis and treating it as a casual event. PRIs are an important part of our constitutional edifice," the PCC chief said.
He said not even a minister or a secretary-level officer had visited the district to talk to the PRI representatives. "Nothing can be more insensitive."
He said children in the district are dying of diseases, while its youth are unemployed, women vulnerable and farmers lack access to irrigation. "We feel there is an atmosphere of acute bedlam and unprecedented institutional decay."
"The Malkangiri misery is being perpetuated by the insensitivity, inaction and neglect of the BJD government in the state," he said and asked the government to create infrastructure, provide jobs to the people and integrate them to the mainstream.
Rs 1100 crore meant for schemes like Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY) were lying unutilised in Malkangiri, Patnaik said, adding the district fares poorly on all development indicators, besides reporting poor utilisation of central funds under different schemes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?