Devotee dies of suffocation during darshan at Puri
Puri: A devotee died in the Gundicha temple at Puri on Sunday possibly due to suffocation during `darshan` of the deities, police said.
The man fell unconscious during the `darshan` of Lords Jagannath, Balabhadra and Subhadra, police said.
Caught in the heavy rush of devotees on the occasion of "Hera Panchami" today, he tripped and was immediately taken to the district headquarters hospital where doctors declared him dead, they said.
Inquiry into the incident was continuing, they said adding efforts were on to ascertain the identity of the victim.
Lord Jagannath, his elder brother Balabhadra and their sister Subhadra were taken to the Gundicha temple through the sprawling Grand Road in a ceremonial procession in three majestic wooden chariots on July 10 and would return in the same fashion to the 12th century shrine on July 18.
The historic Gundicha temple is about 2 km from another centuries` old Sri Jagannath temple here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- 7th Pay Commission: Implementation soon! Cabinet to decide on final report tomorrow
- PM Narendra Modi pays tribute to Narasimha Rao on his 95th birth anniversary
- Wanted gangster Kumar Pillai, held in Singapore, extradited to Mumbai
- Sensex shrugs off Brexit fears, climbs 82 points
- Yazidi victim demands genocide trial for Islamic State leaders