Devotee dies of suffocation during darshan at Puri
Puri: A devotee died in the Gundicha temple at Puri on Sunday possibly due to suffocation during `darshan` of the deities, police said.
The man fell unconscious during the `darshan` of Lords Jagannath, Balabhadra and Subhadra, police said.
Caught in the heavy rush of devotees on the occasion of "Hera Panchami" today, he tripped and was immediately taken to the district headquarters hospital where doctors declared him dead, they said.
Inquiry into the incident was continuing, they said adding efforts were on to ascertain the identity of the victim.
Lord Jagannath, his elder brother Balabhadra and their sister Subhadra were taken to the Gundicha temple through the sprawling Grand Road in a ceremonial procession in three majestic wooden chariots on July 10 and would return in the same fashion to the 12th century shrine on July 18.
The historic Gundicha temple is about 2 km from another centuries` old Sri Jagannath temple here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda