Devotee dies of suffocation during darshan at Puri
Puri: A devotee died in the Gundicha temple at Puri on Sunday possibly due to suffocation during `darshan` of the deities, police said.
The man fell unconscious during the `darshan` of Lords Jagannath, Balabhadra and Subhadra, police said.
Caught in the heavy rush of devotees on the occasion of "Hera Panchami" today, he tripped and was immediately taken to the district headquarters hospital where doctors declared him dead, they said.
Inquiry into the incident was continuing, they said adding efforts were on to ascertain the identity of the victim.
Lord Jagannath, his elder brother Balabhadra and their sister Subhadra were taken to the Gundicha temple through the sprawling Grand Road in a ceremonial procession in three majestic wooden chariots on July 10 and would return in the same fashion to the 12th century shrine on July 18.
The historic Gundicha temple is about 2 km from another centuries` old Sri Jagannath temple here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- DNA: Analysing the derogatory remarks made by Chinese Newspaper on Indians
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption