Devotees take dip near Sun temple in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: At least three lakh devotees on Thursday offered prayers to the Sun god after a mass ritual bath in Odisha`s pilgrimage town of Konark on the auspicious occasion of Magha Saptami, an official said.
The bathing began early morning near the Bay of Bengal, 65 km from the state capital Bhubaneswar and went off without a hitch.
The people who took the holy dip included women, children and a large number of elderly people, a senior district official told a news agency.
According to legend, Shamba, son of Hindu god Krishna, was cured of leprosy after a dip in Chandrabhaga river on the seventh day of the bright half of the Hindu month of Magha.
The river once flowed through the precincts of the Sun Temple of Konark towards the Bay of Bengal, but it no longer exists. However, devotees bathe every year in a large pond at the site and offer prayers believing that it would cleanse them of diseases and wash away their sins.
More than one thousand policemen were deployed in Konark. Similarly, a large number of policemen were deployed at the nearby Puri town, home to the famous 12th century old Jagannath temple, as a large number of pilgrims head for the town after the holy dip and prayers at Konark.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note