Digvijay dubs BJD govt as ‘mining-oriented’, anti-farmer
Bhubaneswar: Dubbing the BJD government in Odisha as "mining-oriented", Congress on Sunday sought clarification from Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on delayed issuance of notices to mine owners about alleged excess mining of minerals.
"Naveen babu has been the chief minister of Odisha for 12 years. Now the state government has issued notices for over production of minerals. You (Naveen) have the government and the minister. What the government had been doing all these years when excess mining was being done," AICC General Secretary Digvijay Singh told a press conference here.
Singh said the Congress would request the Justice M B Shah Commission to probe into the illegal mining being carried out beyond the leased areas in the state. "We are yet to know about the actual amount of illegal mining in non-leased area," he said.
Stating that Odisha is a mineral-rich and agriculture-based state, Digvijay alleged that the BJD`s model had been mining-oriented and not for development of agriculture.
Congress government had all along given priority to farmers while the BJD regime diverted irrigation water for industrial use, Singh said.
"About 3,000 farmers have committed suicide in the state and there is no effort to increase irrigation potential of the state. The irrigation was instead diverted for industrial use," he said.
Replying to Digvijay`s allegation, BJD vice-President and Finance Minister Prasanna Acharya said, "The state government had informed the IBM about excess production of mineral.
"As the IBM did not act, the state government issued notice of penalty to mine owners," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday