Din in Odisha assembly for second consecutive day
Bhubaneswar: Odisha assembly witnessed uproarious scenes for the second consecutive day on Wednesday with treasury and opposition benches raising issues of cut in Railway budget for the state and alleged assault of farmers before the chief minister`s house respectively.
As both sides tried to vociferously highlight their points at the same time, Speaker Pradip Kumar Amat adjourned the house for one hour.
Deputy government whip Sanjay Dusburma raised the issue of reduction in the allocation in Railway budget for Odisha during the zero hour and demanded passing of censure motion against the Centre for its alleged discriminatory attitude towards the state.
"The Railways have cut about Rs 280 crore from the state`s allocation in the original Railway budget of Rs 723 crore," he said.
Protests were raised by opposition Congress, which was to get the first chance to raise any issue during the zero hour on priority basis.
"According to the decision taken at a meeting chaired by the speaker yesterday, the opposition should have been given a chance first to raise any issue. However, the speaker allowed the ruling party member," Leader of Opposition Bhupinder Singh (Cong) said.
Waving banners and placards, slogan shouting Congress legislators rushed to the well of the house. They demanded Rs 300 bonus on every quintal of paddy and increase in the minimum support price on paddy.
As the din continued for some time and two Congress members attempted to climb on the podium, the speaker adjourned the house till 12.30 pm.
The legislators of both parties later staged dharnas near Mahatma Gandhi`s statue in the assembly premises in support of their causes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez