Disrespect to women is in BJD’s DNA: Congress
Bhubaneswar: Demanding a probe into dowry torture charges against former minister Raghunath Mohanty and his family, the Congress on Friday said `disrespect to women is in ruling BJD`s DNA`.
"It is shocking. This case is symptomatic of a deeper malaise that afflicts the ruling party an utter disrespect for women. Disrespect to women is in the ruling BJD`s DNA," Odisha Pradesh Congress Committee president Niranjan Patnaik said.
Citing a series of crimes against women in the state, the Congress leader said the dowry case against Mohanty was another glaring example.
He said that the Congress had yesterday expressed shock over the rape and burning alive of a 17-year-old Dalit girl in Mathatentulia village under Gondia police limits in Dhenkanal district.
Claiming that the security and safety of women was a serious concern, Patnaik alleged that the Odisha government did not seem to be learning from past experiences.
AICC in-charge of Odisha Jagdish Tytler demanded the resignation of Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik and immediate arrest of Mohanty.
Reacting sharply, BJD vice-president and health minister Damodar Rout asked Congress to recall that women were raped and culprits provided protection during its tenure.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet