Disrespect to women is in BJD’s DNA: Congress
Bhubaneswar: Demanding a probe into dowry torture charges against former minister Raghunath Mohanty and his family, the Congress on Friday said `disrespect to women is in ruling BJD`s DNA`.
"It is shocking. This case is symptomatic of a deeper malaise that afflicts the ruling party an utter disrespect for women. Disrespect to women is in the ruling BJD`s DNA," Odisha Pradesh Congress Committee president Niranjan Patnaik said.
Citing a series of crimes against women in the state, the Congress leader said the dowry case against Mohanty was another glaring example.
He said that the Congress had yesterday expressed shock over the rape and burning alive of a 17-year-old Dalit girl in Mathatentulia village under Gondia police limits in Dhenkanal district.
Claiming that the security and safety of women was a serious concern, Patnaik alleged that the Odisha government did not seem to be learning from past experiences.
AICC in-charge of Odisha Jagdish Tytler demanded the resignation of Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik and immediate arrest of Mohanty.
Reacting sharply, BJD vice-president and health minister Damodar Rout asked Congress to recall that women were raped and culprits provided protection during its tenure.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi