Disrespect to women is in BJD’s DNA: Congress
Bhubaneswar: Demanding a probe into dowry torture charges against former minister Raghunath Mohanty and his family, the Congress on Friday said `disrespect to women is in ruling BJD`s DNA`.
"It is shocking. This case is symptomatic of a deeper malaise that afflicts the ruling party an utter disrespect for women. Disrespect to women is in the ruling BJD`s DNA," Odisha Pradesh Congress Committee president Niranjan Patnaik said.
Citing a series of crimes against women in the state, the Congress leader said the dowry case against Mohanty was another glaring example.
He said that the Congress had yesterday expressed shock over the rape and burning alive of a 17-year-old Dalit girl in Mathatentulia village under Gondia police limits in Dhenkanal district.
Claiming that the security and safety of women was a serious concern, Patnaik alleged that the Odisha government did not seem to be learning from past experiences.
AICC in-charge of Odisha Jagdish Tytler demanded the resignation of Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik and immediate arrest of Mohanty.
Reacting sharply, BJD vice-president and health minister Damodar Rout asked Congress to recall that women were raped and culprits provided protection during its tenure.
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights?
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part II
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part III
- IRNSS-1G launch: PM Modi lauds ISRO, says it's a great gift to people of India from scientists
- SHOCKING VIDEO: OMG! This bowler was almost killed after being hit on face by ball...
- Sniffing rosemary helps improve brain power of old people
- After Uyghur activist Dolkun Isa, India cancels visa of Tiananmen activist Lu Jinghua
- MUST WATCH: Amazing speech by BJP MP Navjot Singh Sidhu blasting Congress