Disrespect to women is in BJD’s DNA: Congress
Bhubaneswar: Demanding a probe into dowry torture charges against former minister Raghunath Mohanty and his family, the Congress on Friday said `disrespect to women is in ruling BJD`s DNA`.
"It is shocking. This case is symptomatic of a deeper malaise that afflicts the ruling party an utter disrespect for women. Disrespect to women is in the ruling BJD`s DNA," Odisha Pradesh Congress Committee president Niranjan Patnaik said.
Citing a series of crimes against women in the state, the Congress leader said the dowry case against Mohanty was another glaring example.
He said that the Congress had yesterday expressed shock over the rape and burning alive of a 17-year-old Dalit girl in Mathatentulia village under Gondia police limits in Dhenkanal district.
Claiming that the security and safety of women was a serious concern, Patnaik alleged that the Odisha government did not seem to be learning from past experiences.
AICC in-charge of Odisha Jagdish Tytler demanded the resignation of Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik and immediate arrest of Mohanty.
Reacting sharply, BJD vice-president and health minister Damodar Rout asked Congress to recall that women were raped and culprits provided protection during its tenure.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state