Doc held for outraging modesty of pregnant patient
Puri (Odisha): A doctor was arrested on charges of outraging the modesty of a pregnant woman while examining her in the labour room of a government hospital in Puri district, the police said on Tuesay.
Umashankar Dalal, gynaecologist of Kerandia Community Health Centre, was found guilty of the offence yesterday and was placed under suspension by the state government, Chief District Medical Officer (Puri) Gyanendra Sahu said.
The 23-year-old woman had gone to the hospital with her husband for her routine check-up.
The doctor asked her husband to get a container from the nearby medicine store for collection of urine. After he left, the doctor asked the woman to go inside the labour room and allegedly outraged her modesty, police sources said.
On hearing the her screams, local people assembled in the hospital, dragged the doctor out and manhandled him before handing him over to the police.
Sahu said after being informed about the incident, a team of doctors from Puri had gone to the spot to inquire into the matter and found the gynaecologist guilty.
"The norms for examining a woman patient in the hospital, which includes presence of one relative with her, was found to have been violated by the doctor", the CDMO said.
"The inquiry report submitted by the team was sent to the department of health and family welfare and he was placed under suspension with immediate effect", he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers