Dowry case: No interim relief for former Odisha Law Minister
Cuttack: No interim relief was granted to former law minister Raghunath Mohanty today as a single judge bench of Orissa High Court took up a writ petition filed by him seeking to quash the dowry torture case filed against him.
Mohanty, who resigned yesterday, sought quashing of the criminal proceedings on the basis of an FIR registered against him and four of his family members at Balasore Town police station.
Mohanty, his wife, son and two other family members have been charged with dowry torture by his daughter-in-law Barsa Swony Choudhury.
The former minister had also approached the High Court yesterday in a miscellaneous case seeking interim protection that no coercive police action be taken against him and his family until the writ petition was disposed of.
"The miscellaneous case came up before the single judge bench of Justice Raghuvir Dash today and we have put forth our arguments stating that no case is made out against the former minister and his family members on the basis of the FIR filed by the informant," said Mohanty’s counsel Milan Kanungo.
Appearing for the daughter-in-law of the former minister, advocate Smrutiranjan Mohapatra argued that the High Court should not grant any interim protection to the former minister as it was a fit case for trial on the basis of prima facie evidence collected by the prosecution.
The Human Rights Protection Cell is investigating the matter and has already arrested the husband Raja Shree Mohanty, who has been remanded in judicial custody for two weeks after his bail application was rejected by a Balasore lower court yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly