Dowry case: No interim relief for former Odisha Law Minister
Cuttack: No interim relief was granted to former law minister Raghunath Mohanty today as a single judge bench of Orissa High Court took up a writ petition filed by him seeking to quash the dowry torture case filed against him.
Mohanty, who resigned yesterday, sought quashing of the criminal proceedings on the basis of an FIR registered against him and four of his family members at Balasore Town police station.
Mohanty, his wife, son and two other family members have been charged with dowry torture by his daughter-in-law Barsa Swony Choudhury.
The former minister had also approached the High Court yesterday in a miscellaneous case seeking interim protection that no coercive police action be taken against him and his family until the writ petition was disposed of.
"The miscellaneous case came up before the single judge bench of Justice Raghuvir Dash today and we have put forth our arguments stating that no case is made out against the former minister and his family members on the basis of the FIR filed by the informant," said Mohanty’s counsel Milan Kanungo.
Appearing for the daughter-in-law of the former minister, advocate Smrutiranjan Mohapatra argued that the High Court should not grant any interim protection to the former minister as it was a fit case for trial on the basis of prima facie evidence collected by the prosecution.
The Human Rights Protection Cell is investigating the matter and has already arrested the husband Raja Shree Mohanty, who has been remanded in judicial custody for two weeks after his bail application was rejected by a Balasore lower court yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez