Dowry case: No interim relief for former Odisha Law Minister
Cuttack: No interim relief was granted to former law minister Raghunath Mohanty today as a single judge bench of Orissa High Court took up a writ petition filed by him seeking to quash the dowry torture case filed against him.
Mohanty, who resigned yesterday, sought quashing of the criminal proceedings on the basis of an FIR registered against him and four of his family members at Balasore Town police station.
Mohanty, his wife, son and two other family members have been charged with dowry torture by his daughter-in-law Barsa Swony Choudhury.
The former minister had also approached the High Court yesterday in a miscellaneous case seeking interim protection that no coercive police action be taken against him and his family until the writ petition was disposed of.
"The miscellaneous case came up before the single judge bench of Justice Raghuvir Dash today and we have put forth our arguments stating that no case is made out against the former minister and his family members on the basis of the FIR filed by the informant," said Mohanty’s counsel Milan Kanungo.
Appearing for the daughter-in-law of the former minister, advocate Smrutiranjan Mohapatra argued that the High Court should not grant any interim protection to the former minister as it was a fit case for trial on the basis of prima facie evidence collected by the prosecution.
The Human Rights Protection Cell is investigating the matter and has already arrested the husband Raja Shree Mohanty, who has been remanded in judicial custody for two weeks after his bail application was rejected by a Balasore lower court yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Just Awesome! WATCH KL Rahul score incredible ton against West Indies in just 46 balls
- Walking can cut cardiovascular death by half
- When Robert Vadra had verbal spat with BJP MLA Ganesh Joshi over police horse Shaktiman's death - ALL DETAILS HERE
- 'Those provoking youth in Kashmir for Jihaad have kept their children in safe havens'
- SEBI mulling relaxed norms for REITs, InvITs, startups listing