Dowry case: Raja Shree`s bail plea rejected
Balasore: Bail application of the son of Odisha`s former law minister was rejected by a court here Thursday.
Raja Shree Mohanty, son of former Odisha law minister Raghunath Mohanty, is accused of torturing his wife for dowry.
The Balasore District Sessions Judge, V Jayashree, who heard the bail petition this morning, reserved her verdict till afternoon and subsequently rejected the bail plea moved under CrPC 439 as other accused are yet to be arrested and the case is under investigation.
Raja Shree Mohanty was arrested by the Human Rights Protection Cell of Odisha Police on March 17 near Cuttack for allegedly torturing his wife Barsa Swony Choudhury for dowry.
His wife had lodged a complaint on March 14 at the Balasore police station.
Earlier, Raja Shree`s bail petition was rejected by the Balasore sub-divisional judicial magistrate`s court and he was sent to judicial custody for two weeks on March 18.
Four others, including the former minister, are yet to be traced.
The Orissa High Court had dismissed a writ petition yesterday by the former law minister, seeking quashing of the FIR filed by his daughter-in-law against him and his family members.
The High Court had also turned down the request for interim relief.
A case against the former minister and his family members was registered under sections 498(a) (husband or relative of husband of a woman subjecting her to cruelty), 448 (trespass), 506 (criminal intimidation), 34 (common intention) of the IPC and section 4 of the Dowry Prohibition Act (penalty for dowry).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!