Dowry case: Raja Shree`s bail plea rejected
Balasore: Bail application of the son of Odisha`s former law minister was rejected by a court here Thursday.
Raja Shree Mohanty, son of former Odisha law minister Raghunath Mohanty, is accused of torturing his wife for dowry.
The Balasore District Sessions Judge, V Jayashree, who heard the bail petition this morning, reserved her verdict till afternoon and subsequently rejected the bail plea moved under CrPC 439 as other accused are yet to be arrested and the case is under investigation.
Raja Shree Mohanty was arrested by the Human Rights Protection Cell of Odisha Police on March 17 near Cuttack for allegedly torturing his wife Barsa Swony Choudhury for dowry.
His wife had lodged a complaint on March 14 at the Balasore police station.
Earlier, Raja Shree`s bail petition was rejected by the Balasore sub-divisional judicial magistrate`s court and he was sent to judicial custody for two weeks on March 18.
Four others, including the former minister, are yet to be traced.
The Orissa High Court had dismissed a writ petition yesterday by the former law minister, seeking quashing of the FIR filed by his daughter-in-law against him and his family members.
The High Court had also turned down the request for interim relief.
A case against the former minister and his family members was registered under sections 498(a) (husband or relative of husband of a woman subjecting her to cruelty), 448 (trespass), 506 (criminal intimidation), 34 (common intention) of the IPC and section 4 of the Dowry Prohibition Act (penalty for dowry).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends