Dowry case: Raja Shree`s bail plea rejected
Balasore: Bail application of the son of Odisha`s former law minister was rejected by a court here Thursday.
Raja Shree Mohanty, son of former Odisha law minister Raghunath Mohanty, is accused of torturing his wife for dowry.
The Balasore District Sessions Judge, V Jayashree, who heard the bail petition this morning, reserved her verdict till afternoon and subsequently rejected the bail plea moved under CrPC 439 as other accused are yet to be arrested and the case is under investigation.
Raja Shree Mohanty was arrested by the Human Rights Protection Cell of Odisha Police on March 17 near Cuttack for allegedly torturing his wife Barsa Swony Choudhury for dowry.
His wife had lodged a complaint on March 14 at the Balasore police station.
Earlier, Raja Shree`s bail petition was rejected by the Balasore sub-divisional judicial magistrate`s court and he was sent to judicial custody for two weeks on March 18.
Four others, including the former minister, are yet to be traced.
The Orissa High Court had dismissed a writ petition yesterday by the former law minister, seeking quashing of the FIR filed by his daughter-in-law against him and his family members.
The High Court had also turned down the request for interim relief.
A case against the former minister and his family members was registered under sections 498(a) (husband or relative of husband of a woman subjecting her to cruelty), 448 (trespass), 506 (criminal intimidation), 34 (common intention) of the IPC and section 4 of the Dowry Prohibition Act (penalty for dowry).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers