Dowry case: Raja Shree`s bail plea rejected
Balasore: Bail application of the son of Odisha`s former law minister was rejected by a court here Thursday.
Raja Shree Mohanty, son of former Odisha law minister Raghunath Mohanty, is accused of torturing his wife for dowry.
The Balasore District Sessions Judge, V Jayashree, who heard the bail petition this morning, reserved her verdict till afternoon and subsequently rejected the bail plea moved under CrPC 439 as other accused are yet to be arrested and the case is under investigation.
Raja Shree Mohanty was arrested by the Human Rights Protection Cell of Odisha Police on March 17 near Cuttack for allegedly torturing his wife Barsa Swony Choudhury for dowry.
His wife had lodged a complaint on March 14 at the Balasore police station.
Earlier, Raja Shree`s bail petition was rejected by the Balasore sub-divisional judicial magistrate`s court and he was sent to judicial custody for two weeks on March 18.
Four others, including the former minister, are yet to be traced.
The Orissa High Court had dismissed a writ petition yesterday by the former law minister, seeking quashing of the FIR filed by his daughter-in-law against him and his family members.
The High Court had also turned down the request for interim relief.
A case against the former minister and his family members was registered under sections 498(a) (husband or relative of husband of a woman subjecting her to cruelty), 448 (trespass), 506 (criminal intimidation), 34 (common intention) of the IPC and section 4 of the Dowry Prohibition Act (penalty for dowry).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- CBSE (cbse.nic.in ) Class X results 2015: CBSE Class 10th Board results likely to be declared tomorrow on cbseresults.nic.in