Dozen Maoists surrender in Odisha`s Malkangiri district
Malkangiri: Twelve Maoists, including five women, surrendered before police in Odisha`s Malkangiri district on Friday.
Most of the Maoists, including a couple, belonged to Poplur Dalam and Kalimela Dalam in the Naxal-hit district adjoining Andhra Pradesh, Malkangiri Superintendent of Police, Akhileswar Singh told reporters here.
Muka Madkami of Kanaguda village worked in Kalimela Dalam as `assistant commander` while his wife Gauri Matam (Sabita), also an `assistant commander`, was with the Poplur Dalam for the last five years, Singh said.
Four other women Maoists were Irne Madhi of Kosulkunda village and Subarna Khara (Jayanti), Purnima Khara (Nirmala) and Mukti Khila of Kuntipadar village.
The others were Uddhab Kantari, Buddu Khara, Kosa Madkami, Buddu Hantal, Samara Bogdait and Mukka Madkami.
They were involved in murder, encounters with police, setting off landmines, loot, extortion, and burning of vehicles of government and private companies and a panchayat office in the last five to seven years.
The rebels decided to return to the mainstream as they were harassed by senior ultras, police sources said.
The women claimed they were being sexually exploited by seniors, the sources said.
Over 50 Maoists have surrendered in the area in last four months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket explodes minutes after Florida launch
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- #SelfieWithDaughter trends worldwide on Twitter after PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat'
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him