Dozen Maoists surrender in Odisha`s Malkangiri district
Malkangiri: Twelve Maoists, including five women, surrendered before police in Odisha`s Malkangiri district on Friday.
Most of the Maoists, including a couple, belonged to Poplur Dalam and Kalimela Dalam in the Naxal-hit district adjoining Andhra Pradesh, Malkangiri Superintendent of Police, Akhileswar Singh told reporters here.
Muka Madkami of Kanaguda village worked in Kalimela Dalam as `assistant commander` while his wife Gauri Matam (Sabita), also an `assistant commander`, was with the Poplur Dalam for the last five years, Singh said.
Four other women Maoists were Irne Madhi of Kosulkunda village and Subarna Khara (Jayanti), Purnima Khara (Nirmala) and Mukti Khila of Kuntipadar village.
The others were Uddhab Kantari, Buddu Khara, Kosa Madkami, Buddu Hantal, Samara Bogdait and Mukka Madkami.
They were involved in murder, encounters with police, setting off landmines, loot, extortion, and burning of vehicles of government and private companies and a panchayat office in the last five to seven years.
The rebels decided to return to the mainstream as they were harassed by senior ultras, police sources said.
The women claimed they were being sexually exploited by seniors, the sources said.
Over 50 Maoists have surrendered in the area in last four months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend