Dozen policemen injured after clash with angry mob
Rourkela: About a dozen policemen were
injured in stone pelting by an angry crowd who had gheraoed a
police station here today demanding compensation for the
accidental death of a truck helper, police said.
Police resorted to lathi charge to disperse the mob of
about 500 people as they clashed with the cops outside
Brahmanitarang police station demanding adequate compensation
and job to the kin of the victim, they said.
Truck helper Jagai Oram (18), was killed last night
after he came under the vehicle while repairing it near
A group of local youths had rejected the truck owner`s
compensation of Rs 50,000, and resorted to road block near the
police station and insisted for a compensation of Rs five lakh
and a job.
Meanwhile as a precautionary measure, the Sundargarh
district administration tonight clamped section 144 of CrPC in
the area falling under Brahmanitarang police station.
Additional enforcement has been sent to contain the
violence, official sources said.
Efforts are on to persuade the mob and clear traffic
snarl on the busy route as a large number of vehicles were
found stranded in serpentine queues on both sides of the road.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon