DRDO asked to shift artillery range by Odisha govt
New Delhi: An artillery firing range on
Odisha coast has become a centre of dispute between DRDO and
the state government which is seeking its relocation for
building a port there.
The state government had sometimes ago expressed its desire
to build a shipping port at PXE, which is presently used to
test fire the rocket shells used by the artillery, DRDO Chief
VK Saraswat said here on Wednesday.
"The great advantage of this particular coast is that the
sea recedes to four to five Kms during low tides. So you get a
stretch of 40-50 Kms in length and almost 6-8 Kms in width. It
is a unique location in the world for testing high precision
artillery weapons," he said.
Along with DRDO, the site is used by ordnance factories
and other agencies producing artillery shells. It is being
used for this purpose since the British days, he said.
"PXE has a unique requirement to launch a shell only when
the sea recedes. Now state government is considering a
proposal to set up a port there and we were told that we
should try to restrict the testing range and use a shorter
range location," Saraswat said.
Noting that the two sides are discussing the issue as DRDO
does not want to come in the way of state`s development,
Saraswat said they are trying to find ways to address the
"Dialogue is going on, we don`t want to come in the way of
economic growth of the state. We are trying to find solutions
by way of technology. There are possibilities that the port
can be shifted by few Kms down south and the two activities
can go on together," he said.
Stressing that Odisha government has been supporting DRDO
since day one, he said, "I am sure we will be able to
resolve that by technological means."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'