Drought-hit Orissa seeks Rs 50 cr diesel subsidy from Centre
Bhubaneswar: With 106 of the state`s 314 blocks declared drought-hit due to insufficient rainfall, Orissa government has asked the Centre to immediately release Rs 50 crore as diesel subsidy for farmers.
"We have asked the Centre to immediately release Rs 50 crore for meeting diesel demands of drought-hit farmers to run pump sets," Special Relief Commissioner (SRC) N K Sundaray said.
Stating that situation had improved due to the recent rainfall following a low pressure, he said the number of blocks receiving less than 50 per cent rains had declined to 26 from 41 blocks last week.
h"The drought situation is changing with rainfall," chief secretary B K Patnaik said, adding the government would submit a report to the Centre on drought situation after
To a question on alleged delay in submitting drought situation report, he claimed that reports on insufficient rainfall had been given to the Centre twice -- once on August
20 and another on September 8. A final report would be submitted to the Centre only
after September 30, he said, adding that the chief minister had already directed all district collectors to submit reports of crop-loss due to the drought.
The state government had taken a series of initiatives to help farmers as inadequate rainfall had affected agricultural activities, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE