Eight Maoists surrender in Odisha
Malkangiri (Odisha): Eight Maoists, including three area commanders, surrendered to the police on Wednesday in Odisha`s Malkangiri district.
The eight, from remote Chitrakonda area in the district, surrendered here to Superintendent of Police Akhileswar Singh.
Three of them, brothers Raghu Hantal (24) and Iswar Hantal (23) besides Patra Hantal (28) were militia area commanders, Singh said.
They were being led by Madhab and Chenti of Guma Popular Maoist Dalam since 2009, he said.
The other five were identified as Gangadhar Khara (29), Sarathi Hantal (27), Gobi Khila (32), Chandra Khara (28) and Trinath Hantal (24).
The Maoists, who were responsible for organising meetings, said while surrendering that they decided to return to the mainstream as they were "disillusioned" with their activities.
The eight would be rehabilitated according to the government`s policies, the SP added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble