Eight Maoists surrender in Odisha
Malkangiri (Odisha): Eight Maoists, including three area commanders, surrendered to the police on Wednesday in Odisha`s Malkangiri district.
The eight, from remote Chitrakonda area in the district, surrendered here to Superintendent of Police Akhileswar Singh.
Three of them, brothers Raghu Hantal (24) and Iswar Hantal (23) besides Patra Hantal (28) were militia area commanders, Singh said.
They were being led by Madhab and Chenti of Guma Popular Maoist Dalam since 2009, he said.
The other five were identified as Gangadhar Khara (29), Sarathi Hantal (27), Gobi Khila (32), Chandra Khara (28) and Trinath Hantal (24).
The Maoists, who were responsible for organising meetings, said while surrendering that they decided to return to the mainstream as they were "disillusioned" with their activities.
The eight would be rehabilitated according to the government`s policies, the SP added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- ISRO tells industry to enhance capacity to meet demand
- BJP dares Bihar government to ban VHP meet as Tejaswi Yadav threatens action against Pravin Togadia
- Brexit: Remain or Leave? Results could go down to the wire
- 78 dead, 500 hurt by storms in eastern China