Eight-year-old raped by youth
Jajpur (Odisha): An eight-year-old girl student was allegedly raped by a youth near her school in Nathuabar-Nuasahi village in Odisha`s Jajpur district, police said on Friday.
The accused, identified as Kuna Pradhan (22) of the same village was arrested yesterday, police said. Though the incident occurred last Friday, it was reported to the local police on Wednesday night.
The FIR filed by the father of the victim with the Kuakhia police alleges that his daughter who is studying in Class III at Nathuabar Primary school went to the school along with some of her classmates on Friday. When they reached the school, students were told by their teachers that classes were suspended due to construction work of the school building.
Instead of returning home the victim kept playing with other children near her school. The accused taking advantage of the situation lured the girl and raped her, the FIR said.
"Kuna lured her by giving her chocolates on Friday noon. He then took the victim to an abandoned house, just few yards from her school, and raped her. The victim informed her parents about the sexual assault only after reaching her home," said Deepak Kumar, Jajpur Superintendent of Police, quoting the FIR.
The victim’s father approached the village committee for justice the same night and the accused was summoned to the village committee meeting. But the accused reportedly refused to admit the crime following which a written complaint was lodged with police, he said.
The accused absconded from the village after an FIR was filed against him with the police.
Police arrested the accused on Thursday from a nearby village after conducting raids at various places. Police conducted medical examination of both the accused and the victim at district head quarters hospital here.
The accused was taken to the local court on Thursday and later remanded to judicial custody after his bail plea was rejected.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- Newborn with Zika virus found infected 2 months after birth
- Govinda ala re! Bollywood wishes Happy Janmashtami to all—See inside
- This is how CPI-M countered BJP’s Janmashtami procession in Kerala
- Six killed, 25 injured in bus-truck collusion in China
- Rajnath Singh assures alternative to pellet guns in Kashmir; Mufti says stone-pelting, attacking security camps won't bring peace