Elderly couple murdered on suspicion of witchcraft
Bhubaneswar: A 22-year-old man was arrested in Odisha`s Mayurbhanj district for hacking an elderly couple to death on suspicion of witchcraft, police said Saturday.
The incident took place at Dhanusahi village, over 300 km from state capital Bhubaneswar, Friday but came to light after the accused confessed to the crime at a police station.
Police officer Naba Kishor Das said the accused, Bira Singh Bari, suspected Ankula Purti, 65, and his wife Mukta, 60, of practicing witchcraft following the death of his two minor brothers and one sister in recent years.
Finding the couple alone at home and sleeping, he hacked them to death with an axe, Das told IANS.
Police have arrested the accused and seized the axe, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- When brave CRPF men put themselves between terrorists' bullets and colleagues in Pampore attack
- Egypt deports popular Lebanese political talk show host
- EgyptAir black box flight recorder has been repaired: Commission
- Osborne rules himself out of race to succeed PM Cameron: Report
- 'Subramanian Swamy will dent Modi's image, spook foreign investors'