Elderly couple murdered on suspicion of witchcraft
Bhubaneswar: A 22-year-old man was arrested in Odisha`s Mayurbhanj district for hacking an elderly couple to death on suspicion of witchcraft, police said Saturday.
The incident took place at Dhanusahi village, over 300 km from state capital Bhubaneswar, Friday but came to light after the accused confessed to the crime at a police station.
Police officer Naba Kishor Das said the accused, Bira Singh Bari, suspected Ankula Purti, 65, and his wife Mukta, 60, of practicing witchcraft following the death of his two minor brothers and one sister in recent years.
Finding the couple alone at home and sleeping, he hacked them to death with an axe, Das told IANS.
Police have arrested the accused and seized the axe, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof