Elephant found with bullet injuries in Orissa village
Bhubaneswar: A female elephant was on Thursday
found with bullet injuries in her leg near Kumarbasta village,
nearly 30 kms from here, forest department officials said.
The pachyderm was allegedly fired at by locals last
night when a herd of elephants entered nearby human habitation
area after coming out of the Chakdaka Sanctuary, they said.
"The elephant has sustained three bullet injuries on
the back side of her left leg. We are taking steps for her
treatment," said G G Singh, Range officer of Khurda forest
The injured elephant was the eldest of the over 60
pachyderms in the Chandaka Elephant Sancuary here. Doctors
from the Orissa University of Agriculture and Technology
(OUAT) were asked to treat the animal, the officer said.
- Delhi-Faizabad Express derails near Hapur; 70 injured, emergency number issued
- VVIP chopper deal probe: CBI to grill former-IAF chief SP Tyagi, his 2 brothers today; major set-back for Sonia Gandhi?
- Colombia deports top Peruvian crime lord
- After a half-century wait, first US cruise ship leaves Miami for Cuba
- Tear gas in Paris, Istanbul as tensions erupt on May Day