Encounter-victim Maoists identified, bodies handed over
Berhampur: All the five Maoists killed in the encounter with security forces three days ago in Bhaliaguda jungle in Odisha’s Gajapati district have been identified and the bodies handed over to their kin.
Police said on Saturday while bodies of three Naxals were handed over to their relatives after proper verification last evening, other two bodies were handed over today, they said.
Post-mortem on the bodies having bullet marks were conducted by a team of doctors at MKCG Medical College and Hospital here.
All the five were from Kandhamal district.
While four of the slain ultras were from Bramhanigaon police limit, another was from Tikabali area. One of them was identified as a former samiti member in Saramuli panchayat in Daringibadi block, sources said.
At least five Maoists were killed and two jawans were injured in a gun-battle in dense jungle on the border of Ganjam and Gajapati districts on Wednesday.
Meanwhile, police suspected that some Maoist cadre might have been injured in the exchange of fire. Helicopters were put to use to conduct search operation in Mohana area after the gun battle.
"Blood-stains were spotted in the jungle during the aerial survey, which indicates injury to Maoist cadres in the encounter," a senior police officer said.
He also claimed more Maoist documents, including personal belongings were seized from the border area during the anti-Maoist operation.
"The actual seizure will be known only after the return of the security persons from the operation," DIG (southern range) RK Sharma said.
He said more number of security personnel, including the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF), Special Operation Group (SOG), District Voluntary Forces (DVF) and local police were engaged in the anti-Maoist operation.?
Massive search operation was launched in the area suspecting that escaped Maoists, including rebel leader Sabyasachi Panda might be hiding in the dense jungle after the encounter and destruction of their camp.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report