Rourkela: A 22-year-old engineering student died and seven others sustained burn injuries when a house was allegedly set ablaze by its owner at Jagda in Jhirpani here.
Gopal Pradhan, a 3rd year student of Padmanav Engineering College, succumbed to his burn injuries at Ispal General Hospital (IGH) on Wednesday morning, police said.
The incident took place last night when the students gathered for a feast at the residence of Akshya Swain (75), a retired employee of Rourkela Steel Plant. His grandson Anup was also a student of the same college.
Suddenly, Swain closed the door from outside, poured petrol and set the house on fire, they said, adding, his son Ajit and Anup were also inside the room.
Swain was arrested. Property dispute between him and Ajit seems to have led the incident, police said.