Enquiry into fatal candle light operation
Bhubaneswar: The death of a three-year
old girl during a surgery under candle and torch light due to
power failure at the biggest state-run hospital here prompted
an embarrassed Orissa government to order a high-level probe
into the incident today.
The child with grievous head injury was brought in to
the hospital by her daily wage labourer mother from Pipili,
about 25 km from here, on Friday night when there was no
electricity at the medical facility, hospital sources said.
In their bid to save the child, injured in a wall
collapse, doctors arranged some candles and torches to perform
the surgery. The generator was also not working due to unknown
Finally, the surgery was performed but the child died
at the operation table during stiching.
A high-level inquiry was ordered into the incident. A
two-member committee comprising a doctor and an administrative
officer would conduct the probe, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Reduced oxygen can cause childhood heart disease
- Premier Futsal: Goa 5's outclass Bengaluru 5's 3-0, seal semi-final spot
- Scientists reconstruct detailed 3D eyes from single photo
- Santander pips BBVA: Eurozone`s largest bank becomes La Liga's newest sponsors
- US sanctions target Assad regime's arms, finance networks