The child with grievous head injury was brought in to
the hospital by her daily wage labourer mother from Pipili,
about 25 km from here, on Friday night when there was no
electricity at the medical facility, hospital sources said.
In their bid to save the child, injured in a wall
collapse, doctors arranged some candles and torches to perform
the surgery. The generator was also not working due to unknown
Finally, the surgery was performed but the child died
at the operation table during stiching.
A high-level inquiry was ordered into the incident. A
two-member committee comprising a doctor and an administrative
officer would conduct the probe, sources said.
Bhubaneswar: The death of a three-year
old girl during a surgery under candle and torch light due to
power failure at the biggest state-run hospital here prompted
an embarrassed Orissa government to order a high-level probe
into the incident today.
First Published: Sunday, September 19, 2010, 21:42