EU diplomats enquire about Kandhamal nun rape case
Bhubaneswar: A group of visiting European
Union diplomats Wednesday enquired about the sensational nun rape
case in Kandhamal district of Orissa, which was hit by
communal violence, and progress in investigation.
The issue was raised by the delegation during its meeting
with Director General of Police (DGP) Man Mohan Praharaj and
other senior police officers at the state police headquarters
"They wanted to know about the progress made in several
cases including the nun rape case," Praharaj told reporters.
While 19 persons had been arrested in connection with
the nun rape case, three youths were identified by the victim
during the two test identification parades (TIP), the
delegation was informed, police sources said.
The crime branch of the Orissa Police, which had been
probing the case, has already submitted charge sheets against
the persons identified by the woman.
The 29-year-old catholic nun was allegedly raped at K
Nuagaon under Baliguda police station area during a state-wide
bandh on August 25, 2008, two days after the killing of the
VHP leader Swami Laxamananda Saraswati.
The nun, along with priest Father Thomas Chelan, was
physically assaulted before some members of a mob allegedly
raped her, the victim had said in her FIR.
Though a case was registered at Baliguda police station on
August 26, no investigation was made into the case before
the crime branch was handed over the probe into the incident
on October 1.
CBI had apprehended 19 people, including three from
Kerala, while 11 other accused were still at large.
- Indian Premier League 9: Gujarat Lions' Ravindra Jadeja reprimanded for showing dissent at umpire's decision
- Holiday video alert! Shahid Kapoor, Mira Rajput’s oceanic vacation
- NBSE 10th & 12th Results 2016: Nagaland.gov.in Board, NBSE HSLC & HSSLC Results 2016 to be declared on May 3
- MUST WATCH: Kargil martyr's daughter's message to India and Pakistan on Facebook - `Enough is enough`
- Hubble spots galaxy hidding in night sky – See pic!