Eviction notices issued to illegal settlers in Bhitarkanika
Kendrapara: The Bhitarkanika National Park authorities have served eviction notices on 71 families settled in the internationally-acclaimed wetland site in Odisha`s Kendrapara district.
"Eviction orders have been issued to illegal settlers in accordance with provisions of wildlife protection act, 1972," Divisional Forest Officer, Manoj Kumar Mahapatra said.
"Those against whom notices were served would have to submit land records to establish legitimate domicile status within a fortnight," Mahapatra said.
After the legal formalities, they would be asked to vacate the land voluntarily or face forcible eviction. The reclaimed land would be used for mangrove regeneration plan, he said.
Nearly 10 acre in the Rupei forest block is under unauthorised settlement with 71 families mostly comprising Bengali-speaking migrants occupying it.
Rupei is the lone village existing within the national park.
Around 4 families had settled after the 1971 cyclone. Subsequently, there was a steady influx with the number of families swelling to 71.
The park has been accorded the Ramsar wetland site status and been short listed from among 27 sites in the country by UNESCO for world heritage site status.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday