Ex-minister`s daughter-in-law receives acid attack threat
Bhubaneswar: Barsa Swony Choudhury, an alleged dowry torture victim and daughter-in-law of a former minister, was reportedly threatened in a letter with acid attack if she tried to enter politics.
The letter came on Thursday, five days after the Human Rights Protection Cell (HRPC) of the Odisha Police filed chargesheet against former law minister and Biju Janata Dal leader Raghunath Mohanty, his son and three other members of his family in a dowry torture case last year.
Barsa`s father Kishore Choudhury has received a postcard at his village home in Balasore district.
"It (postcard) has warned my daughter to refrain from any attempt to enter politics. It says if she makes any such attempt, she would be attacked with acid," Choudhury said.
"I met the Balasore superintendent of police, apprised him of the threat to my daughter and sought adequate security to her," Choudhury told reporters.
"I have asked for a thorough examination of the post card that the family members of Barsa received today. The post card would be sent to the fingerprint section which I hope will help the police nab the miscreants," Balasore SP N Pankaj said.
Barsa was provided security after she met Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on February 21.
Choudhury said this might be the handiwork of the supporters of Raghunath Mohanty, against whom Barsa has filed a dowry torture case following which he was dropped from the cabinet.
Mohanty was arrested from his hideout in Kolkata along with wife. Their son Rajashree was also arrested in March last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India