Ex-trooper held for firing at villagers, 10 hurt
Bhubaneswar: A retired Border Security Force (BSF) trooper and his associate were arrested on Thursday for firing at villagers in Orissa`s Kendrapada district that injured at least 10 people.
Madan Mohan Behera, who lives in Baratunga village, about 115 km from here, allegedly opened fire Wednesday evening after some residents objected to the construction work he carried out on a government land.
Of the 10, some have been critically injured, district Superintendent of Police Narasingh Bhol told a news agency.
The villagers, who received gunshot injuries, including on hands and legs, were undergoing treatment at a local hospital. Police force was deployed in the village to prevent further trouble, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers