Ex-trooper held for firing at villagers, 10 hurt
Bhubaneswar: A retired Border Security Force (BSF) trooper and his associate were arrested on Thursday for firing at villagers in Orissa`s Kendrapada district that injured at least 10 people.
Madan Mohan Behera, who lives in Baratunga village, about 115 km from here, allegedly opened fire Wednesday evening after some residents objected to the construction work he carried out on a government land.
Of the 10, some have been critically injured, district Superintendent of Police Narasingh Bhol told a news agency.
The villagers, who received gunshot injuries, including on hands and legs, were undergoing treatment at a local hospital. Police force was deployed in the village to prevent further trouble, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued