Explosives recovered from Maoist den in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: Security personnel on Monday unearthed a Maoist dump in Odisha`s Rayagada district and recovered three land mines totally weighing 50 kg, along with several other items, police said.
Based on a tip-off, a joint team of the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) and district voluntary forces raided the Kharikuti forests within the limits of Gudari police station, and spotted the dump, District Superintendent of Police Rajesh Pandit told a news agency.
"The dump was covered with sand. With the help of a bomb disposal squad, we recovered three land mines, two weighing 20 kg each and another weighing 10 kg," he said.
"Among other items recovered from the spot were 44 electronic detonators and a Maoist banner," he added.
Maoists are active in more than half the state`s 30 districts. Rayagada district, about 400 km from here, is considered a Maoist stronghold.
This was the second dump the security forces unearthed in the area this month. On January 23, several arms and explosives including one country-made hand grenade, one claymore bomb weighing half kg, 21 detonators, and a land mine weighing six kg were recovered from a dump near Gadargudi village in the same district, the police officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble