Extensive cyclone damage in Odisha`s Ganjam district
Chatrapur: The coastal district of Ganjam, which bore the brunt of `Phailin`, is believed to have suffered a loss of at least Rs 3,000 crore as the cyclone deprived lakhs of people, including fishermen their livelihood besides damaging their houses.
Moved by the tragedy that has struck the hapless people here, Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik, after a visit to relief camps, today ordered payment of Rs 500 each to the affected even as the administration will begin distribution of ration free of cost for two months.
A special relief package for fishermen will also be announced by the government, District Collector Krishan Kumar said.
The worst damage of nature`s fury by "Phailin" has been in Ganjam and official sources have pegged the loss at more than Rs 3,000 crore in this district alone. Power infrastructure has been damaged to a great extent.
"There has been extensive damage to the standing paddy crop as a huge area of land covering paddy fields has been submerged in rain water. There has been huge loss to the horticulture farming also as an enormous number of mango and coconut trees have been uprooted," Kumar said.
He said Ganjam is the worst-affected district in Odisha in terms of loss of livelihood and property.
"More than 2.4 lakh houses have been damaged which includes fishermen huts and other Kutcha houses," Kumar said.
Fishermen have suffered massive losses as their nets, boats and catamarans have been damaged, the Collector said.
He said nine people have lost lives due to cyclone in this district alone.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets