Extortionist posing as Maoist arrested
Sambalpur: A man was arrested
for allegedly indulging in extortion and threatening people
including political leaders for ransom by posing as a Maoist,
The accused, identified as Labanga Rana (48) of Dharul
village in Paikamal area of Bargarh district, was nabbed on Friday
night after threat calls were traced to his phone, Inspector
In-Charge of Sambalpur Town police station R N Deo said.
During interrogation, Rana has confessed to have
extorted money from five persons by posing as Maoist, he said.
The accused had also made calls to senior BJP leader
and Orissa`s former minister Jainarayan Mishra and demanded
money identifying himself as a Maoist.
He had also dashed a threatening letter after which
Mishra lodged a complaint with the police who in turn nabbed
the accused by tracing the number from which phone calls had
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites
- Personality check: What is the colour of your eyes?