Extortionist posing as Maoist arrested
Sambalpur: A man was arrested
for allegedly indulging in extortion and threatening people
including political leaders for ransom by posing as a Maoist,
The accused, identified as Labanga Rana (48) of Dharul
village in Paikamal area of Bargarh district, was nabbed on Friday
night after threat calls were traced to his phone, Inspector
In-Charge of Sambalpur Town police station R N Deo said.
During interrogation, Rana has confessed to have
extorted money from five persons by posing as Maoist, he said.
The accused had also made calls to senior BJP leader
and Orissa`s former minister Jainarayan Mishra and demanded
money identifying himself as a Maoist.
He had also dashed a threatening letter after which
Mishra lodged a complaint with the police who in turn nabbed
the accused by tracing the number from which phone calls had
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report