Extreme measures in dealing with Maoists not resorted to: CRPF DG
Bhubaneswar: Director General of CRPF K Vijay Kumar on Thursday said extreme measures were not resorted to unless it was unavoidable in dealing with Maoists.
"We have told our people, number one try to get surrender, number two, try to get arrest. Only when you are about to be shot, then you resort to firearms," Kumar told reporters here on the sideline of a function here.
"If somebody is firing at you, it`s a question of kill or get killed. If you don`t want to get killed, if there`s a situation where our boys will be killed we resort to it. We don`t resort to extreme measures unless it is unavoidable," Kumar, who held discussion with Odisha`s new Director General of Police Prakash Mishra on anti-Maoist operations in the state, said.
Asked whether he foresaw a situation where personnel would be forced to go for physical elimination, Kumar said "No question of physical elimination. We are only talking of the right of self defence."
He refused to comment on lack of a uniform surrender policy.
"I won`t be commenting on surrender policy because it is something. That the government is involved," Kumar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city