Extreme measures in dealing with Maoists not resorted to: CRPF DG
Bhubaneswar: Director General of CRPF K Vijay Kumar on Thursday said extreme measures were not resorted to unless it was unavoidable in dealing with Maoists.
"We have told our people, number one try to get surrender, number two, try to get arrest. Only when you are about to be shot, then you resort to firearms," Kumar told reporters here on the sideline of a function here.
"If somebody is firing at you, it`s a question of kill or get killed. If you don`t want to get killed, if there`s a situation where our boys will be killed we resort to it. We don`t resort to extreme measures unless it is unavoidable," Kumar, who held discussion with Odisha`s new Director General of Police Prakash Mishra on anti-Maoist operations in the state, said.
Asked whether he foresaw a situation where personnel would be forced to go for physical elimination, Kumar said "No question of physical elimination. We are only talking of the right of self defence."
He refused to comment on lack of a uniform surrender policy.
"I won`t be commenting on surrender policy because it is something. That the government is involved," Kumar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez