Fake currency racket unearthed, four held
Bargarh (Odisha): Four persons were arrested on charge of printing and circulating counterfeit currency notes in Odisha`s Bargarh district, police said here on Sunday.
Altogether 490 fake currency notes of Rs 100 denomination were seized from the four identified as Biswapati Sahoo, Pabitra Bag, Subha Tripathy and his brother Jyoti Tripathy, Bargarh sub-divisional police officer, Parul Gupta said.
On a tip off, police raided a place in Talapali village under Gaicilat police station and seized the fake notes with a face value of Rs 49,000 besides note making materials including desk-top computers, colour printers, scanners, instant photo maker, ribbon cartridges, bond papers and mobile phones from the spot, she said.
These articles were stolen from different police station areas in the district and cases were pending against them in Bargarh, Barpalli, Melchamunda, Gaicilet in the district and Jonk police station in neighbouring Nuapada district, the SDPO said.
Fake currency notes were in circulation in the district for quite some time and police was on the look out to unearth the racket, Gupta said, adding, the materials seized from the spot had the potential to print Rs 500 denomination notes as well.
"They were planning to prepare Rs 500 denomination fake currency notes as well and the materials required for the purpose were ready but nabbed before that", Gupta said.
The four were arrested yesterday under sections of IPC and forwarded to the court of sub-divisional judicial magistrate (SDJM) at Padampur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Beware! Fake currency notes floating in market this Diwali
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon