FDI in retail would hit Indian traders: BJP
Bhubaneswar: Hitting out at the UPA government at the Centre for deciding to allow 51 per cent FDI in the retails sector, BJP said the hurried announcement made without obtaining a consensus, would wipe out Indian traders.
Demanding immediate roll back of the decision, BJP`s Odisha unit vice-president Ashok Sahu told reporters here that even the allies in the UPA are reported to be against allowing FDI in multi-brand retail.
"If FDI in retail is allowed, the retail sector of India will fold up. The consumers and producers too will be affected as these companies will neither give goods at cheaper prices, nor will the farmers benefit," he said.
This will create widespread unemployment and an economic crisis right up to the village levels, Sahu said, adding in Odisha alone this "anti-people" decision will affect nearly 10 lakh people.
While BJP would hold a countrywide agitation against FDI in retail and diesel price hike on September 20, its traders cell had organised an All India Protest Rally in New Delhi on August 23.
Sahu said India, with a population of 122 crores is now the biggest market in the world, and is being specifically targeted by multinationals.
"The US has pressurised the Central government to open up the investment in the retail sector, and the Centre has succumbed to it," he alleged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack