Fear of distress sale haunts Odisha farmers
Koraput: Fear of distress sale haunts farmers of Odisha`s Koraput district with thousands of quintal of paddy still lying in the mandis after procurement of the targeted amount.
The district witnessed a bumper crop this kharif season. Around 93,700 farmers cultivated paddy over 46,240 hectare and their produce was close to 3 lakh metrict tonne (MT), according to agriculture department sources.
The government had fixed the procurement target at 1,20,169 MT in the first phase, which was later increased to 1,26,863 MT.
"If the government does not resume paddy procurement, farmers will be forced to sell their produce at a price lower than the minimum support price of Rs 1,310 a quintal," said Narendra Kumar Pradhan, secretary of Zilla Krushaka Kalyana Mancha, an outfit working for the benefit of farmers.
Senior Congress leader Tara Prasad Bahinipati attributed the agrarian crisis to the state government`s lack of vision. "The government does not have a specific policy for farmers. Such an attitude will demoralise farmers and they will hesitate to take up farming in future," he said.
"The government should take immediate steps to curb distress sale and protect farmers from being exploited by middlemen," he added.
Civil supplies officer (Koraput) Pitambar Acharya said, "We have sought permission from the government to procure paddy over and above the target and are waiting for the nod".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Beware! Fake currency notes floating in market this Diwali
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon