Fines imposed by Odisha govt eyewash: BJP
Bhubaneswar: Describing the Rs 67,900 crore fine imposed by the Odisha government on mines for excess production as an eyewash, the BJP on Wednesday demanded cancellation of mining licenses of the companies, confiscation of their machines and a CBI probe.
"In order to save its own skin, Odisha government has imposed fine on erring mines. It is only an eyewash to mislead the people when the Shah Commission probing the mining scam is on its third visit to the state," state BJP vice-president and spokesman Ashok Sahu alleged here.
By imposing penalty on mines indulging in excess extraction, the BJD government in Odisha admitted that irregularities took place in mining, he told reporters, adding, the very fact that the state government remained silent for 10 long years showed it was not sincere in stopping illegal mining.
Claiming that penalty notices issued to erring mines had loopholes to enable the companies to escape by moving the court, Sahu said all the equipment, machines and tools of these mining agencies should be confiscated forthwith.
In addition, revenue and commercial tax authorities must penalise mining companies which have converted roads and public places into dumping yards, the BJP leader said.
Dismissing the vigilance probe into mining scam since 2010 as meaningless and a mockery, Sahu asked the state government to hand over inquiry into irregular mining to CBI as it claims to be honest and transparent.
Moreover, since mining operation involved other states like Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh and West Bengal, only CBI can ensure an effective probe, he felt.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents