FIR against Odisha Law Minister in dowry case
Bhubaneswar: A case has been registered against Odisha`s Law Minister and senior BJD leader Raghunath Mohanty after his daughter-in-law accused him and his family of torturing her for dowry, police said on Friday.
Mohanty`s daughter-in-law Barsha Sony Mohanty had lodged an FIR against the minister, his wife Pritilata, son Rajasree and other members of the family at Balasore Town Police Station last night.
"Allegation against me and my family is totally false and baseless. The people of Balasore know the truth. Let the law take its own course," Mohanty told PTI.
A case has been registered against the minister and others under section 498 (A), 506, 448 and 34 of IPC on the basis of the complaint lodged by Barsha, police said.
In her FIR, the woman said she married Rajasree on June 24, 2012. During marriage, her parents had given Rs 10 lakh and other household articles.
However, she alleged that she was subjected to physical and mental torture for dowry.
"They further demanded a Scorpio vehicle and Rs 25 lakh cash," Barsha said in her FIR.
She further alleged in the FIR that she was shocked over the attitude of her mother-in-law and brought the matter to the notice of her husband and the minister father-in-law.
However, both her husband and father-in-law suggested that Barsha bring more dowry as demanded by the mother-in-law.
Barsha, who has now being staying at her parent`s house due to alleged torture, claimed that there was an attempt to kidnap and kill her on March 13.
However, Barsha said she survived as other members of her family reached the place while some unknown people were about to abduct her.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!