Fire at Bhushan Steel Plant; 1 killed, 15 injured
Dhenkanal: One person died and at least 15 others were injured, many of them seriously, when a fire broke out at a private steel plant in Odisha`s Dhenkanal district on Wednesday prompting the state government to order closure of the factory, police said.
"We have received report of one person being killed and another sustaining above 80 per cent burn injury in the fire at Bhushan Steel Plant. The government has asked the plant authorities to close down the plant till further order," Labour and employment secretary CMT Suguna told a news agency.
Dhenkanal Superintendent of Police Manoranjan Mohanty said "There is information about one death and burn injuries to several others in the fire that erupted in a blast furnace of the steel plant."
Around 15 persons were injured, most of them seriously, in the fire that broke out in blast furnace No 2 of Bhushan Steel Plant at Meramunduli, Sub-Divisional Police Officer (SDPO), Dhenkanal, AP Swain said.
Eleven of the injured persons were referred to SCB Medical College Hospital at Cuttack where their condition was stated to be critical, official sources said adding some workers were feared still trapped.
The deceased who had suffered more than 80 percent burn was yet to be identified, the SP said.
The fire, which was accompanied by an explosion, engulfed the blast furnace area within minutes, police said adding fire tenders from Dhenkanal and Angul districts took over 4 hours to control the blaze.
Senior police and district administration officials rushed to the site.
"The state government has asked the factory and boiler authorities to immediately rush to the place of accident and probe into the cause of fire," said Labour and Employment minister Bijayshree Routray.
The minister said the government was waiting for the detail report.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive