Fishermen peeved at govt instruction on security procedures
Kendrapara (Odisha): Traditional marine fishermen along Odisha`s Dhamra-Paradip coast are peeved at government instructions asking them to bear the cost of remodelling their vessels to meet the standard coastal security procedures.
The remodelling work includes, among other things, displaying data, registration number and colour coding of the fishing vessels. The vessel owners, according to the instructions of the state Marine Fisheries Department, have to bear the cost. However, those earning a living by traditional sea fishing are in no mood to bear the additional costs.
The seven-month ban on marine fishing from November 1 to May 31 has affected the income of fishermen. The World Bank funded Integrated Coastal Zone Management Programme (ICZMP) to uplift their livelihood stakes has failed to yield the desired results.
Marine fishermen said the additional burden is unwarranted and unjustifiable.
Meanwhile, traditional marine fishermen have urged the state Marine Fisheries Department to bear the cost for writing data on their fishing boats and vessels.
"The seven month prohibition has taken a heavy toll on their livelihood. The fish yield has also decreased. So, the additional cost will be a burden," said Tushar Kanti Sardar, Chief of local Traditional Marine Fishermen Association.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- Sachin Tendulkar fans fume after Kumar Sangakkara omits 'God of Cricket' from all-time XI
- China to feel Brexit effects, yuan to weaken against dollar: JP Morgan
- As Central India faces drought, violence and murders on the rise over water
- Baby boom! Teejay Sidhu and Karanvir Bohra to become parents for the first time
- Tripura Governor gets additional charge of Arunachal Pradesh