Five children die as school wall collapses in Odisha
Nayagarh: Five school children, including two girls, were killed and nine others injured, two of them critically, when the wall of an Anganwadi centre collapsed in Nayagarh district of Odisha on Monday prompting the government to suspend its headmistress.
The wall of a room of the Anganwadi centre operating in Nelia Upper Primary School campus at Suansia Sahi village caved in when 11 children were inside it along with three adults comprising a cook, one helper and the mother of a child, Nayagarh Superintendent of Police S D Mallick said.
While three children - Somnath Kotala, Chinku Kandi, Sachi Ray died on the spot, Pinki Sahu and Sonali Pradhan succumbed to their injuries at Capital Hospital and at a private hospital in Bhubaneswar.
"All the children were in the age group of 3 to 5 years," the SP said adding the wall caved in following heavy rainfall here last night.
The three children had been rushed to the government hospital at Ranpur where doctors declared them brought dead, Chief District Medical Officer B Das said.
"The headmistress of Nelia Upper Primary School was suspended as it was found that the class room allotted to the Anganwadi Centre was unsafe," Nayagarh district collector R K Choudhury told PTI over phone.
Besides, two Anganwadi workers had been served show cause notices, he added.
Angry locals surrounded nearby Ranpur police station and blocked the road demanding punishment to those responsible for the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Soldier buried under Siachen avalanche snow rescued after six days
- Panel discussion on demand for expulsion of Wahabi Syllabus from Universities- Part IV
- DNA: Analysis on India's naval prowess at International Fleet Review
- Panel discussion on demand for expulsion of Wahabi Syllabus from Universities
- Panel discussion on demand for expulsion of Wahabi Syllabus from Universities- Part II
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen