Five children die as school wall collapses in Odisha
Nayagarh: Five school children, including two girls, were killed and nine others injured, two of them critically, when the wall of an Anganwadi centre collapsed in Nayagarh district of Odisha on Monday prompting the government to suspend its headmistress.
The wall of a room of the Anganwadi centre operating in Nelia Upper Primary School campus at Suansia Sahi village caved in when 11 children were inside it along with three adults comprising a cook, one helper and the mother of a child, Nayagarh Superintendent of Police S D Mallick said.
While three children - Somnath Kotala, Chinku Kandi, Sachi Ray died on the spot, Pinki Sahu and Sonali Pradhan succumbed to their injuries at Capital Hospital and at a private hospital in Bhubaneswar.
"All the children were in the age group of 3 to 5 years," the SP said adding the wall caved in following heavy rainfall here last night.
The three children had been rushed to the government hospital at Ranpur where doctors declared them brought dead, Chief District Medical Officer B Das said.
"The headmistress of Nelia Upper Primary School was suspended as it was found that the class room allotted to the Anganwadi Centre was unsafe," Nayagarh district collector R K Choudhury told PTI over phone.
Besides, two Anganwadi workers had been served show cause notices, he added.
Angry locals surrounded nearby Ranpur police station and blocked the road demanding punishment to those responsible for the incident.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended