Five die in clash over land dispute in Odisha
Bolangir: Five members of a family were killed and four others seriously injured in a clash between two tribal families over land dispute in Odisha`s Bolangir district on Sunday, police said.
The clash broke out between family members of Ramel Thappa and Sankheswar Majhi at Thapapalli near here under Bolangir Sadar police station area this morning, they said.
Ramel Thappa and his four sons - Jagdish, Kapil, Purna and Madras - died in the clash in which sticks and sharp weapons besides agriculture implements were used, Inspector In-Charge (IIC), Bolangir Sadar police station, Pradeep Jena said.
Four persons belonging to Majhi family were injured in the incident and three of them later referred to the VSS Medical College Hospital at Burla while one was being treated at the district headquarters hospital here.
Sub-divisional police officer (SDPO), Bolangir Sadar, Narayan Nayak said four persons - Sankheswar Majhi, his brother Sadashiv Majhi and two sons Biswanath Majhi and Kandha Majhi - were arrested before being referred to the hospital.
Five women members of the family were also detained for interrogation, he said. Cases were registered under various sections of IPC including murder and rioting.
Animosity between the two families was continuing for long over ownership and cultivation on a grazing land. The dispute had taken its toll last year when one Ekadasi Majhi of Majhi family was killed after being attacked by Thappa family.
However, it turned ugly today when the Thappa family reached the disputed land for cultivation which was opposed to by their rivals and the area turned in a virtual battle field.
Senior police officials went to the spot and a probe was in progress, IIC Jena said, adding, the bodies were sent for post-mortem.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow