Five die in Odisha poisoning incident
Berhampur: The death toll in suspected "poisoning" incident in the town mounted to five on Tuesday with the death of two more family members during treatment at hospital.
While three brothers died after eating some food at home during the day yesterday, their father, Bhubani Padhy (65) died at the hospital late last night and sister Banita (23) succumbed to illness today, hospital sources said.
Besides Bhubani and Banita, the three others who had died first were identified as as Pramod Kumar Padhy (29), Prasanna Padhy ((27) and Pankaj Padhy (25), police said.
While Prasanna and Pramod died in the hospital during treatment, Pankaj died on the way to a private hospital in Vishakhapatnam.
"Preliminary investigation indicated that the deaths were due to poisoning. Viscera were sent to state forensic laboratory to confirm the exact cause of the deaths," said head of forensic department Sachidanand Mohanty.
Prashant, the eldest son of Bhubani, was now battling for life at MKCG Medical College and Hospital.
"His condition is also critical. He was admitted in the intensive care unit and doctors are trying their best to save him," said Superintendent of medical college and hospital AK Behera.
Sixty-year-old Sarojini, wife of Bhubani, however, escaped the tragedy, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof