Five drowned as boat capsizes on Biluakhai river in Odisha
Jagatsinghpur: At least five persons were drowned when a country boat capsized on Biluakhai river in Odisha`s Jagatsinghpur district on Friday, officials said.
"Bodies of five persons have been fished out after the country boat carrying devotees to a temple capsized on the river near Nachhipur village this evening," Jagatsinghpur district Collector S K Mallick said.
Some people were rescued during a rescue operation launched by personnel of Odisha Disaster Rapid Action Force (ODRAF), fire brigade, police and local divers, he said adding one of the rescued persons has been admitted to hospital.
The search and rescue operation was supervised by senior officials including the District Collector Mallick and Superintendent of Police.
In view of darkness, arrangements for adequate lighting were made in order to facilitate the search operation, sources said adding it was not immediately clear whether some more people were still missing.
The passengers, mostly from Nachhipur village, were proceeding to attend a religious ceremony at a temple at Galipur village across the river when the mishap took place, police sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Wow! Soon you may find a robot greeting you at HDFC Bank
- Half of states expected to ratify GST by early September
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan