Five drowned as boat capsizes on Biluakhai river in Odisha
Jagatsinghpur: At least five persons were drowned when a country boat capsized on Biluakhai river in Odisha`s Jagatsinghpur district on Friday, officials said.
"Bodies of five persons have been fished out after the country boat carrying devotees to a temple capsized on the river near Nachhipur village this evening," Jagatsinghpur district Collector S K Mallick said.
Some people were rescued during a rescue operation launched by personnel of Odisha Disaster Rapid Action Force (ODRAF), fire brigade, police and local divers, he said adding one of the rescued persons has been admitted to hospital.
The search and rescue operation was supervised by senior officials including the District Collector Mallick and Superintendent of Police.
In view of darkness, arrangements for adequate lighting were made in order to facilitate the search operation, sources said adding it was not immediately clear whether some more people were still missing.
The passengers, mostly from Nachhipur village, were proceeding to attend a religious ceremony at a temple at Galipur village across the river when the mishap took place, police sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Bhagwant Mann posts video of security pickets on way to Parliament; MPs attack AAP lawmaker
- Mario Goetze returns home: Germany's World Cup hero leaves Bayern Munich for Borussia Dortmund
- 43 civilians dead in bombardment of Syria rebel-held areas: Report
- Rain, traffic jam and kisses - This couple hogged the limelight on Delhi road: Watch
- England vs Pakistan, 2nd Test: Axe for Steven Finn, Jake Ball as hosts seek to level series