Five Maoists arrested in Odisha
Koraput: At least five Maoist
ultras, involved in around 10 murders and several Naxal offensives in Odisha`s Koraput district, were on Saturday arrested by a joint team of police and BSF personnel.
The arrested Naxals were working for the Srikakulam- Koraput division of the outlawed CPI (Maoist) for the past several years and were apprehended near China Sabdam forest area last night, police said.
"These people were in our wanted list since long for their direct involvement in several murders in between March 2010 and July 2013 on charges of being police informers. They had unleashed terror in the area and were in the armed squad of the Maoists," said SP (Koraput) Awinash Kumar.
During interrogation, the arrested Naxals confessed to have committed murders and a series of other violence in Narayanpatna and Bandhugaon area which has taken place in past two years, the SP said.
"They had confessed to torching a mobile tower at Bandhugaon and participating in road blocking and feeling trees at the time of Maoists bandh call in the area," he said.
The arrested members have been identified as Abhi Pidika, Bulu Pidika, Adana Meleka, Chekiti Prasad and Jetu Meleka, all residents under Bandhugaon police limits.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Suresh Raina denies Lalit Modi's match-fixing allegation, mulls legal action against former IPL boss