Five Maoists arrested in Odisha
Koraput: At least five Maoist
ultras, involved in around 10 murders and several Naxal offensives in Odisha`s Koraput district, were on Saturday arrested by a joint team of police and BSF personnel.
The arrested Naxals were working for the Srikakulam- Koraput division of the outlawed CPI (Maoist) for the past several years and were apprehended near China Sabdam forest area last night, police said.
"These people were in our wanted list since long for their direct involvement in several murders in between March 2010 and July 2013 on charges of being police informers. They had unleashed terror in the area and were in the armed squad of the Maoists," said SP (Koraput) Awinash Kumar.
During interrogation, the arrested Naxals confessed to have committed murders and a series of other violence in Narayanpatna and Bandhugaon area which has taken place in past two years, the SP said.
"They had confessed to torching a mobile tower at Bandhugaon and participating in road blocking and feeling trees at the time of Maoists bandh call in the area," he said.
The arrested members have been identified as Abhi Pidika, Bulu Pidika, Adana Meleka, Chekiti Prasad and Jetu Meleka, all residents under Bandhugaon police limits.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi