Five policemen injured in mob attack in Rourkela
Rourkela: At least five police personnel
were among ten people injured when an angry mob attacked the
cops trying to clear a road blockade on state highway-10 at
Rajgangpur in Odisha`s Sundargarh district, police said today.
A large number of people had blocked the state highway
last night after death of a school girl after being hit by a
truck near Ranibandha.
Police said a class tenth student Sradhanjali Pati met
with the accident when she was returning home on her bi-cycle
after her coaching classes. The girl died on the way to Ispat
General Hospital here.
As the news spread, the locals blocked the highway
seeking compensation for the family.
Police reached the spot and tried to specify the
agitators. Some miscreants in the crowd torched the truck and
pelted stones at police and damaged few vehicles at the site.
Police used force to quell the mob. The situation was
brought under control after a couple of hours and normal
traffic on the highway restored after police chased away the
mob. Five police personnel and ten others sustained injuries
in the process, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest