Five policemen suspended over VIP treatment to accused
Bhubaneswar: Five policemen were suspended on Tuesday in Odisha`s Keonjhar district after they allegedly provided VIP treatment to a man arrested in an illegal mining case.
Among the suspended policemen, one is a havaldar and others are constables. Further inquiry is on, District Superintendent of Police Kavita Jalan told a news agency.
The cops were suspended after they allegedly allowed Deepak Gupta, an accused in a multi-crore rupee mining scam, stay in a hotel instead of a government hospital.
Gupta has been admitted at the Sriram Chandra Bhanj Medical College and Hospital in Cuttack since February 08 after he complained of illness.
During his treatment, he allegedly stayed in a city hotel for some nights where a room was booked in someone else`s name.
The policemen were meant to guard him and ensure that he did not escape. However, they did not inform their superiors that he had stayed in a hotel, said Jalan.
"They were suspended for dereliction of duty," Jalan added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing