Five sentenced in Kandhamal riots case
Phulbani (Odisha): A fast track court in
Odisha`s Kandhamal district Thursday sentenced five persons to
rigorous imprisonment for two years in connection with the
2008 communal riots.
Fast Track Court-II Judge Biranchi Narayan Mishra
convicting the five persons also imposed Rs 5,000 fine on each
of them and ordered additional jail term for six months in
case of non-payment of penalty amount.
The court, however, acquitted two accused persons for
lack of evidence.
The seven people had been arrested for their
involvement in rioting and burning down of houses at Nilungia
village under G Udayagiri on August 24, 2008, a day after VHP
leader Laxmanananda Saraswati was killed at his Jalaspeta
ashram in the district.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram