Five sentenced in Kandhamal riots case
Phulbani (Odisha): A fast track court in
Odisha`s Kandhamal district Thursday sentenced five persons to
rigorous imprisonment for two years in connection with the
2008 communal riots.
Fast Track Court-II Judge Biranchi Narayan Mishra
convicting the five persons also imposed Rs 5,000 fine on each
of them and ordered additional jail term for six months in
case of non-payment of penalty amount.
The court, however, acquitted two accused persons for
lack of evidence.
The seven people had been arrested for their
involvement in rioting and burning down of houses at Nilungia
village under G Udayagiri on August 24, 2008, a day after VHP
leader Laxmanananda Saraswati was killed at his Jalaspeta
ashram in the district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’