Five sentenced in Kandhamal riots case
Phulbani (Odisha): A fast track court in
Odisha`s Kandhamal district Thursday sentenced five persons to
rigorous imprisonment for two years in connection with the
2008 communal riots.
Fast Track Court-II Judge Biranchi Narayan Mishra
convicting the five persons also imposed Rs 5,000 fine on each
of them and ordered additional jail term for six months in
case of non-payment of penalty amount.
The court, however, acquitted two accused persons for
lack of evidence.
The seven people had been arrested for their
involvement in rioting and burning down of houses at Nilungia
village under G Udayagiri on August 24, 2008, a day after VHP
leader Laxmanananda Saraswati was killed at his Jalaspeta
ashram in the district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Peter Mukerjea knew Sheena was Indrani's daughter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them