Five Sri Lankans held for fishing in Indian waters
Bhubaneswar: Five Sri Lankan fishermen were taken into custody by marine police in Odisha’s Jagatsinghpur district Wednesday for fishing in Indian waters, an official said.
The men were fishing in the Bay of Bengal, about 170 nautical miles off the Paradip port, in violation of the country’s maritime laws.
Police official Satyabrata Bhoi said the Coast Guard intercepted the vessel in which they found the Sri Lankan nationals.
Marine police swung into action after the Coast Guard handed over the vessel and the crew members.
The vessel was seized and the crew members, aged between 25 and 30 years, were arrested, the official told IANS.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees