Five women and two children missing after boat capsize
Koraput: At least seven persons - five women and two children - went missing after the boat in which they were traveling capsized in a water reservoir in
Orissa`s Koraput district on Sunday, police said.
The boat carrying 12 persons from Pujariput village under Lamtaput block was on its way to Jolahonjar, about 60 Km from here, when it lost balance and capsized in Kolab reservoir, they said.
While five persons, including two women, swam to safety, seven others went missing in the reservoir, police said, adding that two children and five women were among those missing.
Personnel of Orissa Disaster Rapid Action Force (ODRAF) from Koraput and fire brigade from Jeypore along with local fishermen and volunteers conducted rescue and search operation in the reservoir to trace those missing, Superintendent of Police (Koraput) Anup Kumar Sahu said.
However, the operation was suspended after evening and would resume tomorrow, he said.
The mishap took place when the villagers were proceeding to attend a function at a place across the water body, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- LIVE Cricket Score, IND vs NZ, 3rd ODI: Kohli hits 26th hundred as India inch closer to win
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: After his sacking, Ramgopal Yadav writes to Mulayam, says 'you're surrounded by evil forces'
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption